Add employee opening balances
Add your employees year-to-date earnings and taxes you've paid during this fiscal year so their pay history imports into Xero. If you are switching to payroll in Xero in the middle of a quarter, you'll need to run an unscheduled pay run so their pay history records for the current quarter.
When to enter opening balances
|Paid employee in fiscal year before moving to Xero?||Opening balance date||Enter year-to-date balance for wages and taxes?||Run a pay run for an employee's opening balances|
Set opening balance date
- In the Settings menu, select General Settings.
- Under Features, click Payroll Settings.
- On the Organization tab, select the date you want to start using payroll from Opening Balances Date.
- Click Save.
Add employee opening balance
- In the Payroll menu, select Employees.
- Click the name of the employee you want to set an opening balance for.
- Click the Opening Balances tab.
- Click the Add buttons and enter the relevant details for each opening balance. For example, click Add Earnings Line to add an earnings balance.
- Click Save.
What if I switch to payroll in the middle of a quarter?
If you switch to payroll in the middle of a quarter, you'll need to add opening balances for year-to-date pay history and run an unscheduled pay run for current quarter opening balances.