Convert a client from QuickBooks to Xero
If you're a Xero partner, you can convert your QuickBooks clients to Xero for free using our electronic conversion process. Add the name of their United States business to your practice, then upload their QuickBooks file. We'll convert the file's data into Xero and set up your client's organization for you.
Conversion and organization setup typically happens in 3 hours, but may take up to a few business days (depending on how much data you're converting).
Check we can convert your QuickBooks file
- US editions of QuickBooks, version 2007 or newer.
- QuickBooks files with one currency. Check that multi-currency in QuickBooks has never been turned on.
Data for the current fiscal year, and the previous fiscal year if QuickBooks holds this data.
You can convert data from earlier fiscal years, for a cost, using one of our app partners.
Prepare your client's QuickBooks accounts for conversion
Now that you have checked we can convert your client's QuickBooks file, prepare their QuickBooks accounts.
- Tidy up QuickBooks data
If you need to do accounting work to tidy up the file, do it before you convert to Xero.
For example, make sure you have fully reconciled all bank accounts and applied open credits to the correct invoices or bills.
- Ensure maximum of 699 accounts in the chart of accounts (including inactive accounts)
If the chart of accounts has more that 699 accounts, you'll need to remove some. Do this by merging duplicate accounts and deleting inactive accounts. (Make sure you select the Include inactive checkbox in your chart of accounts to list active and inactive accounts.)
- Turn on account numbers
Account numbers in QuickBooks convert to account codes in Xero. Xero requires account codes.
Consider these tasks also
- Add account numbers to unnumbered accounts in your chart of accounts
If you leave any accounts unnumbered, we'll assign them a number (based on the US GAAP numbering system).
- Renumber sub-accounts
For example, if the master account is numbered 6000, renumber sub-accounts to 6000.10, 6000.20 and so on.
Save your QuickBooks file
Save your file as QBB, QBW or QBXML format.
- If using QuickBooks Online, convert the file to a QBXML format
- Log in to QB Online Edition as the Administrator using Windows IE 10 (or newer).
- Click Company Name, then Export Data.
- On Export Overview, click Get Started.
- If you need to, install ActiveX Controls and click Continue.
- Select All Financial Data, then click Continue.
- Download your file. Select I’m creating a local copy to keep on my computer.
- Save your file with the QBXML file extension.
- If using QuickBooks for Mac, convert the file to Windows. (In QuickBooks, choose File, then Back up to QuickBooks for Windows.)
Your file size must be less than 1GB.
Start new organization in Xero and upload QuickBooks file
- From the header, click the list icon , then select My Xero.
- Click New organization.
- Enter the name of your client's organization, then select the country in which the organization pays taxes. Under What's their current accounting system? select QuickBooks.
- Click Convert my file.
Click Choose File, then navigate to and select the QuickBooks file saved to your computer.
If the file has a password, enter your client's:
- QuickBooks Administrator Username
- QuickBooks Administrator Password
We won't be able to convert the file if you enter the user name and password of someone who doesn't hold the QuickBooks Administrator role.
Intuit QuickBooks Learn & Support (Intuit website)
- Click Continue. Your QuickBooks file will now start uploading.
You can keep an eye on the progress of the file conversion. An error may display if you haven't prepared or saved the file correctly, or if the password for the file is wrong.
Take over subscription after conversion and organization set up
We'll send you an email after we've converted your client's file and set up their organization, and we'll ask you to become the subscriber. Log into your practice, accept the subscription transfer, and select or add a new billing account.
Review converted data
After you have become the subscriber of your client's organization, review the converted data.
Any transactions that you manually reconciled in QuickBooks will convert as unreconciled in Xero. Transactions missing information, such as the contact name, will also convert as unreconciled.
You will need to reconcile transactions in Xero that were reconciled in QuickBooks.
We suggest you run a full trial balance in both Xero and QuickBooks for the end of the current month, and then compare the balances.
Sometimes converted invoices and bills lose details during conversion. When this happens, the invoices and bills display under the contact name 'No Contact' in Xero.
In Xero, run aged payables and aged receivables reports as at the end of the current month.
If there are aged payables or aged receivables for 'No Contact', run the same aged report in QuickBooks to compare the data.
Enter bills and invoices in Xero (so your aged payables and aged receivables reports in Xero match your QuickBooks reports).
- Use the correct contact details.
- Date your invoices and bills using the date before the conversion date.
- Code your invoices and bills to a clearing account.
Create matching credit notes for 'No Contact'. Code the credit notes to your clearing account to reverse the 'No Contact' balance.
Run the Balance Sheet to check the clearing account balance is zero.
Cleared credit notes in QuickBooks may convert into unallocated credit notes in Xero.
Find unallocated credit notes and apply them to the matching invoice or bill.