Setup Guide: collect these things before you start
This page lists key information you should collect so you can complete the setup of your Xero organisation. You don't have to complete the Setup Guide before you start using Xero, but your reports may not be correct until you've entered all this information.
- Legal name of your organisation.
- Financial year end for your organisation. Most organisations in the United Kingdom use 31 March, but you can use a different date.
- VAT information if registered (number, period and scheme). This information will be in your VAT Return if you’ve filed one before.
- Business logo, invoice payment terms, and a starting point for your invoice/credit note numbering sequence.
- Email address of your accountant or bookkeeper or someone else to help set up your organisation (if you need help).
- Your chart of accounts or a list of categories to organise your accounts by (for example, Rent, Stationery, Sales).
- Your bank and credit card account numbers for accounts you want to set up in Xero.
- Accounting balances - If your organisation has been operating before moving to Xero, run a report, such as a trial balance, from your previous accounting system showing account balances as at the day before you start using Xero. Xero calls these 'conversion balances'. If you don’t have a report, use the balances from your bank accounts or chart of accounts/categories.
- Outstanding invoices, bills, credit notes and uncleared funds - All outstanding invoices, bills and credit notes from before switching to Xero. If you have uncleared funds (or unpresented cheques), you'll also need this amount.
If your conversion date is in the past and you've carried on business since then, then as far back as your conversion date you'll also need:
- Invoices and bills
- Bank account and credit card statements
to import into Xero.