Add statutory maternity leave
Work out if your employee is eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP), then add start and end dates so it's captured when you process your pay runs.
Add an employee's maternity adoption leave
If the employee is eligible, SMP can only be paid for a certain number of full weeks (HMRC website).
- In the Payroll menu, select Time Off.
- Click Add time off, then select Statutory Leave.
- Select the employee, then select Maternity.
Complete the date fields. Once you enter the leave period, Xero displays the number of weeks and days the employee is taking.
- (Optional) Click Add actual birth date and select a date where the birth date varies from the expected due-date.
- (Optional) Select the Subject to pension calculation checkbox to calculate these payments in employee and employer pension contributions.
- If the employee hasn't provided sufficient documentation, such as their MATB1 certificate, change Did [employee’s name] provide sufficient documentation to No. Note, your employee won't be entitled to SMP.
- Click Add. Xero checks your employee’s entitlement and shows you if they're entitled to earn SMP for this period of leave.
- (Optional) To override average weekly earnings:
- Under Time Off, click the request you want to edit.
Click Override average weekly earnings.
- Under Average weekly earnings, update the amount.
- Click Save.
Keeping in touch days (KIT)
During maternity leave, your employee can work KIT days without losing any SAP. If they use more KIT days than allowed, your employee loses SMP for the week in which these additional days occur.
To add KIT days:
- Under Time Off, click the Maternity request you want to edit.
- Use the date picker to add days to the Keep-in-touch days field.
- Click Save.
Your employee returns to work early, then goes off sick
If your employee returns to work early before the end of their maternity pay period and is later absent from work due to sickness, they may be entitled to earn SMP for each full week they're away.
- Add a new statutory leave request and select Maternity.
- Enter your employee’s original expected due date.
- Then enter the new sickness leave start and end dates.
- (Optional) Select the Subject to pension calculation checkbox if required.
- Click Add. Xero checks with existing eligibility criteria if they're Entitled or Not Entitled to earn SMP for this period of leave.