Add statutory adoption leave
Work out if your employee is eligible for Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP), then add start and end dates so it's captured when you process your pay runs.
Add an employee's statutory adoption leave
If the employee is eligible, SAP can only be paid for a certain number of full weeks (HMRC website).
- In the Payroll menu, select Time Off.
- Click Add time off, then select Statutory Leave.
- Select the employee, then select Adoption.
- Choose if your employee is taking Standard adoption leave or Surrogacy adoption leave.
Complete the date fields. Once you enter the leave period, Xero displays the number of weeks and days the employee is taking.
- (Optional) Select the Subject to pension calculation checkbox to calculate these payments in employee and employer pension contributions.
- If your employee hasn't provided sufficient notice or documentation, change Did [employee name] provide sufficient documentation to No. Note, your employee won't be entitled to SAP.
- Click Add. Xero checks your employee’s entitlement and shows you if they're entitled to earn SAP for this period of leave.
- (Optional) Override average weekly earnings:
- Under Time Off, click the request you want to edit.
Click Override average weekly earnings.
- Under Average weekly earnings, update the amount.
- Click Save.
Keeping in touch days (KIT)
During adoption leave, your employee can work KIT days without losing any SAP.
To add KIT days:
- Under Time Off, click the Adoption request you want to edit.
- Use the date picker to add days to the Keep-in-touch days field.
- Click Save.