Record cheque numbers in Xero
Record cheque numbers in Xero to help track payments and reconcile your bank account. The cheque number will show on the transaction in Xero that the bank statement line is matching against - you won't necessarily see the cheque number on the imported statement line because this depends entirely on what data your bank provides and the format of the file you're importing.
To record and report on these cheque numbers:
- When you create a spend money transaction, enter the cheque number in the Reference field. When you record a payment on a bill, enter the cheque number in the Reference field of the payment details.
- Anything entered in either of these fields displays during bank reconciliation.
- To see the cheque transactions on a report, run the Account Transactions report.
- Select the bank account for the cheques you want to report on.
- You can view your cheque numbers in the ‘Reference’ column.