Submit payment summary report to the ATO
Lodge your payment summary report with the ATO either through Xero if you have no more than 99 employees, or download and lodge the report through the ATO portal using EMPDUPE.
How it works
- Prepare and publish your employee payment summaries before you submit your report.
- Lodge a maximum of 99 employee payment summaries to the ATO through Xero. If you have more than 99 employees, download the EMPDUPE file and lodge the report through the ATO portal.
- You can also create the annual PAYG payment summary report (Xero Partner Products Help Centre) using Xero Tax or Practice Manager.
- The ATO must receive your payment summaries annual report by a submission date they set. Find out more about deadlines for lodging your PAYG withholding annual reports online (ATO website).
- Once you've sent the annual report to the ATO, your end of year payroll process is complete.
Option 1: Lodge the report through Xero
If you have no more than 99 employee payment summaries:
- In the Payroll menu, select Employees.
- Click Payment Summaries.
- Click Confirm and Continue.
- Select all employees and click File Now.
- Select Yes if you are the agent lodging this information and add your details.
- Select the Authorisation To File declaration checkbox.
- Click File Now.
The annual report is filed at the ATO if all payment summaries are accepted. If it can't be filed, you'll need to fix the relevant payment summaries and submit the file again.
Option 2: Download and lodge the report to the ATO
If you have more than 99 employee payment summaries:
- From the Payment Summaries screen, select all employees.
- From the File Now list, click Create EMPDUPE.
- Click Yes to include the agent details and enter the relevant information.
- Click Create EMPDUPE. The file is downloaded to your computer.
- Upload and lodge the file through the ATO Online Portal.
- Log in to the portals (ATO website).