Prepare and distribute employee payment summaries
There are two payment summary types. Xero automatically prepares your employee's individual, nonbusiness payment summaries. Review and finalise the totals before you send these as annual reports to the ATO. When employees have employment termination payments (ETP) or business and personal services income (Labour Hire), you will need to submit these outside Xero.
Prepare individual, nonbusiness payment summaries
- Verify payroll data matches the general ledger
- In the Payroll menu, select Employees, then click Payment Summaries.
- Review your organisation name, ABN and postal address and change basic organisation settings if needed.
- Enter the signatory name and add the contact number.
(Optional) Under FBT Exemption, select the checkbox if you want to enter exempt and nonexempt, reportable fringe benefit taxes (RFBT) for each employee.If employee FBT amounts exist, you be able to edit these when you review the payment summary.
- Click Confirm and Continue.
- Click Financial Year Ending.
Review gross payments, PAYG, Total Allowance, Workplace Giving, Union or Association Fees, RESC and Lump Sum amounts for each employee.If your employee has a Working Holiday Maker status, their payment summary will display their income status type as 'H' . Payment summaries for other employee types will display as 'S'.
- Identify and fix payment summary errors
- Enter any RFBA amounts from your fringe benefits tax return for each employee.
Enter any Lump Sum amounts.This reduces your employee’s gross wages to ensure amounts aren't duplicated.
- Select the checkboxes next to all employees.
- Click Publish.
- Review the Status column for all employees in the payment summary table:
- The tick icon shows the payment summary is published and ready to submit to the ATO.
- The clock icon shows employees with unpublished payment summaries. Identify and fix payment summary errors, then republish.
Manually produce payment summaries for ETP and Labour Hire
Xero doesn't automatically include payment summaries for employment termination payments (ETP), and business and personal services income (Labour Hire). You will need to submit these manually.
- Run a Payroll Employee Summary report to generate the totals you will need.
- Refer to the ATO to complete a PAYG payment summary - business and personal services income form (ATO website).