Prepare and distribute employee payment summaries
There are two payment summary types. Xero automatically prepares your employee's individual, nonbusiness payment summaries. Review and finalise the totals before you send these as annual reports to the ATO. When employees have employment termination payments (ETP) or business and personal services income (Labour Hire), you will need to submit these outside Xero.
How it works
- You can review and finalise individual, nonbusiness payment summaries within Xero before sending them to the ATO. You will need to prepare employment termination payments (ETP) and business and personal services income (Labour Hire) outside Xero.
- Pre-tax deductions reduce gross wages on the payment summary at the end of each financial year. You can add these if they need to be reported as reportable fringe benefits in the employee payment summary. If employee FBTs exist, you can edit these when you review the payment summary.
- If your employee has a Working Holiday Maker status, their payment summary will display their income status type as 'H' . Payment summaries for other employee types will display as 'S'.
Prepare individual, nonbusiness payment summaries
- Verify payroll data matches the general ledger.
- In the Payroll menu, select Employees, then click Payment Summaries.
- Review your organisation name, ABN and postal address and change basic organisation settings if needed.
- Enter the signatory name and add the contact number.
- (Optional) Under FBT Exemption, select the checkbox if you want to enter exempt and nonexempt, reportable fringe benefit taxes (RFBT) for each employee.
- Click Confirm and Continue, and then click Financial Year Ending.
- Review gross payments, PAYG, Total Allowance, RFBA, Workplace Giving, Union or Association Fees, RESC and Lump Sum amounts for each employee.
- Identify and fix payment summary errors.
- Enter any RFBA amounts from your fringe benefits tax return for each employee.
Enter any Lump Sum amounts.This reduces your employee’s gross wages to ensure amounts aren't duplicated.
- Select the checkboxes next to all employees, and click Publish.
- Review the Status column for all employees in the payment summary table:
- The tick icon shows the payment summary is published and ready to submit to the ATO.
- The clock icon shows employees with unpublished payment summaries. Identify and fix payment summary errors, then republish.
Manually produce payment summaries for ETP and Labour Hire
Xero doesn't automatically include payment summaries for employment termination payments (ETP), and business and personal services income (Labour Hire). You will need to submit these manually.
- Run a Payroll Employee Summary report to generate the totals you will need.
- Refer to the ATO to complete a PAYG payment summary - business and personal services income form (ATO website).