Import fixed assets into Xero in bulk
Import multiple fixed assets into Xero as draft assets if you've been using another system to manage your fixed assets, or if you want to import many fixed assets into your register at once. If you've turned on tax reporting, you can import tax depreciation details for the assets as well as book depreciation details.
About importing book and tax depreciation details
If your organisation hasn't turned on tax reporting in Xero, the template won't include tax value columns. If you've turned on tax reporting, the template will include tax value columns.
As an advisor:
- If you previously downloaded a template including tax value columns, you can use this to import fixed assets to an organisation that hasn't turned on tax reporting. Xero will ignore the tax value columns if they're left blank.
- If you previously downloaded a template which doesn't include tax value columns, you can't use this to import fixed assets to an organisation that has turned on tax reporting. Xero requires the tax value columns on the template.
- If you want to import opening tax value balances for registered fixed assets already in Xero, use the bulk edit process instead.
Import fixed assets from another Xero organisation
If you already have one Xero organisation, you can import the fixed assets to another Xero organisation.
Before you start importing assets
- Make sure you've created all the asset types for the assets you are going to import.
If you want to import tax depreciation details:
- (Optional) Set up your tracking categories.
Download the fixed assets template file
- In the Accounts menu, select Fixed Assets.
- Click Import.
- At step 1, click Download template.
- Save the template file to your computer.
Enter all assets into the template
- Open the template on your computer.
- Enter all assets into the template, following the rules and formatting requirements.
- Save the file as a CSV or TXT file type.
Upload the file to Xero
- Go back to the Import Fixed Assets page (if you navigated away from it).
- In step 3, select the date format you used on your template.
- In step 4, click Browse, locate your file and click Open.
- Click Continue.
- At the Import Summary, if there are no errors to fix, click Import.
All assets are added as draft assets. Register them together if you want to start depreciating them.