Default tax rates in Xero
Default sales tax rates are available in Xero when you first set up your organization. You can edit some of them, and add your own custom rates.
See your default tax rates by going to the Settings menu and selecting General Settings. Under the Organization heading, click Tax Rates.
About default tax rates
- You can edit some default rates to match the rate required by your tax authority.
- For sales, you can use the sales tax lookup instead of creating different tax rates in Xero.
- The Accounts using this Tax Rate column refers to the accounts in your chart of accounts that will use this rate by default when you select the account on a transaction. You don't have to use the default tax rate on a transaction. You can change it to another rate on your invoice, bill or other transaction. You can also use the sales tax lookup for sales invoices.
- You can add your own tax rates and apply them as the default for accounts in your chart of accounts.
- The tax treatment and tax rate you select on a transaction determine where the transaction is reported on the Sales Tax Report. Review this information before editing default rates or creating new rates.
Default tax rates
|Sales Tax on Imports||0%|
|Tax on Purchases||0%|
|Tax on Sales||0%|