Add a tax rate
Add your own tax rate if your organization needs more options than Xero's default rates. Your tax rates can apply to sales, purchases, or both.
Add a new tax rate
- On the Settings menu, select General Settings.
- Under the Organization heading, click Tax Rates.
- Click Tax Rates to expand the section to see existing rates.
- Click New Tax Rate.
- Enter a Tax Rate Display Name.
- Add the Tax Components.
- Click Save.
Tax Rate Display Name
The name identifies the tax rate in the chart of accounts and on your transactions. It's only shown within Xero. It doesn't appear on your invoices, quotes, or other documents you send outside Xero.
A tax component is a percentage rate applied to an item when you use the tax rate.
- You can include up to 6 components in a tax rate.
- When using the same component in different tax rates, use the same component name so the tax is reported in one amount in the Sales Tax Report. Every version of a name (for example, City Tax, CityTax, City Tax Rate) is treated and reported as a different component, even if their rates are the same.
- You can use the same component for both sales and purchases tax rates.
If you have more than one component, any one of the components can be a compound rate. Including a compound rate means the 'effective tax rate' is higher than the nominal rate. The effective tax rate is used to calculate the tax on a line item.
If you are entering transactions that use a different tax rate for each line, you will see each tax rate and amount listed separately before the transaction total.