Sales tax lookup
Use the sales tax lookup in Xero to calculate and add tax automatically to invoices for your US-based customers.
Avalara, a third-party, provides the sales tax lookup service.
How it works
You can turn on the lookup:
- From the Tax Rate column when you add an invoice. You can't use the sales tax lookup on repeating invoices.
- In the Tax Rates screen
Use the lookup
How tax is calculated
Standard state tax rates are used
The sales tax lookup automatically calculates standard state tax rates based on:
- The states where you've indicated your organization has a physical presence and is registered to collect sales tax
- The physical address of the customer you're invoicing
If your customer isn't based in one of the states you've added in the Tax Rates screen, the sales tax rate will default to Tax Exempt (0%).
A physical presence can mean many things, including having an office, employee, or warehouse.
If you have a physical presence in a state (often referred to as sales tax nexus), then you must collect sales tax from customers in that state.
You must be registered with your state authority to collect sales tax.
What do standard state tax rates exclude?
Standard state tax rates exclude the following rates and settings:
- Tax rates based on product or service type, including products or services that are free from tax, or have extra tax
- Tax treatment of shipping and handling costs
- Tax treatment of discounted products or services
- Bracket systems, banded taxes, or capped taxes
Tax is recalculated
The sales tax lookup checks for new tax rates each time an invoice is approved or edited.