Sales Tax Summary
The Sales Tax Summary report is part of the Sales Tax Report and links to the Sales Tax Audit. It shows the total net sales tax charged or paid by your organization for the selected period. You can use the audit report to track the summary report details. Your user role determines whether you can view and create reports.
About the summary report
The report defaults to the tax basis, rates and components set up in your financial settings.
The dates default to the sales tax period immediately following the last published report, or the current period to be filed if you haven't previously published. You can change the dates to view sales tax for other periods.
If you set up your sales tax rates and components to match the ones you file on your tax return (or other document from your country or state), it's likely you can copy the summary figures in Xero to your return.
Once you've reviewed the Sales Tax Report or submitted your tax return, you can publish the full Sales Tax Report in Xero (the summary and audit), then generate the new report for the next tax period.
See Where does Xero get the sales tax figures from? for more information on the sales tax calculations.
Open the summary report
- In the Reports menu, select All Reports.
Under Tax, click Sales Tax Report. You'll see the Sales Tax Summary for the default period.
- Select the date range you want. If you don't enter any, they default to one month.
- Choose the way you want to view the suumary:
- (Optional) Select the Show by Tax Rate checkbox to show sales tax split into rates with the components that make up each rate. The percentage is the overall percentage for rates that includes multiple components (including compounding components)
- (Optional) Select the Show by Tax Component checkbox to show sales tax split into components and the rate that each components belongs to. Components with a different percentage within the same rate are also shown.
- (Optional) Select the Show by Account Type checkbox to show the account type that used the rate or component (e.g. Revenue, Expense). Rates with different account are also shown.
You'll see the summary of all sales tax transactions for the selected period. If the summary was produced by someone with the Advisor user role, you might see extra information or notes. Tax components with compounding rates are marked with a 'C'.