Realized Gains and Losses report
The Realized Gains and Losses report shows the detail of realized foreign currency gains on invoices. A foreign currency gain (or loss) is realized when a payment or credit is made against an invoice using an exchange rate that is different than when the invoice or credit note was created. Xero automatically calculates realized gains at the time the payment or credit is made and journals the amount to the Realized gains account. You'll need the Standard or Advisor user role to run this report.
Access the report
- In the Reports menu, select All Reports.
- Under Accounting, select Foreign Currency Gains and Losses.
- Select a date range, then click Update.
- Click anywhere in the Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payables Realized Gain column to view the Realized Gains and Losses report.
Choose the data to show in the report then generate it
Choose or update the report options then generate the report. Use the:
- From field to choose the date when you want the report to run from.
- To field to select the date you want to run the report to.
- Invoice Type to run the report for either bills or sales invoices.
- Currency field to pick either one or all of your active currencies. As there are no realized gains on your base currency this will not be shown.
- Sort by field to sort the report by either Date or Number. The default setting is Date.
Then use the Update button to generate your report. Use the Update button each time you change the date or other report options.
View report transactions
Your generated report will show your report transaction information in columns.
- Date column displays the date of the transaction
- Transaction column shows the type of transaction e.g. payment, refund
- Reference (AP) column shows the transaction reference number
- Number (AR) column shows the invoice or credit note number
- Amount column shows the payment amount in the foreign currency it was paid
- FX Rate column shows the rate of the bank transaction
- Invoice FX Rate column shows the invoice currency rate
- FX Gain column displays the base currency, showing the realized gains on the invoice
- View Total column shows the total of the values in the Realized Gains (FX) column
Your report might look different each time depending on whether you have filtered the report, sorted it differently or changed the periods or dates.
Select individual transactions
Click on any figure to drill down to see the view the payment page for that bank transaction.