Customize older style report layout
Customize the display of Xero's older Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Budget Variance and Tracking Summary reports. You can save and share these layouts with other users of your organization or across all the organizations you have access to in Xero.
New reports are also fully customizable, but work differently.
Some of these older reports can also be run as part of a management report.
|Create new layout||Move or group the accounts on the report and save as a new layout.|
|Edit this layout||Change the layout you're currently viewing by moving or changing/adding grouping - this is only available if you're viewing the report using a layout created by you or someone else in your organization.|
|Choose layout||Switch to another layout (including the Xero standard layout) created by you or someone else in your organization.|
|Save as favorite||Make the layout available for the report in all the organizations you have access to in Xero.|
Create and save a new report layout
Creating a layout determines where accounts will be displayed on that report and in some cases which accounts will be included on the reports. Each layout is specific to a report, for example, a layout you create for your Income Statement cannot be applied to your Balance Sheet.
- Open the report you'd like to customize.
- Click Layout Options, then Create new layout.
- Move accounts and Add groups to customize your layout.
- Enter a Layout Name and Layout Description.
- (Optional) To apply this layout as the default for everyone in your organization, select the Make this the default... option.
- Click Save.
Once your layout it saved, it will be included in a list of saved layouts for that report for that organization. From the Layout Options button on the report you can use the Choose layout option or the Save as favorite option.
Layout options explained
Move accounts to appear under a different heading - either existing Xero default headings for the report or the heading of a new group you've created.
- Check the account(s) that you want to move, click the Move selected accounts button.
- Choose the Move to place in the report the account(s) should display under.
- Click OK.
All accounts that are relevant to the report will display under each relevant group, even if they are archived in your chart of accounts. This way, if you run a report over a past period that contains transactions that were assigned to an archived account, those amounts will be picked up and included in the report.
You can move any account to any group. Balances will display as positive or negative amounts depending on the section or group they're moved to.
You can't change the default group or section headings on a report but you can create your own groups and sub-groups and name these however you like.
Add or edit your own group
Create your own groups of accounts within the default report sections or groups.
- Click the Add group button or check the accounts you want to group together and click the Group selected accounts button.
- Enter a Group name to appear on the report. Groups will display alphabetically on the report within the section you place the group.
- Choose the place in the report the group should display under.
- Click OK.
The Tracking Summary Report is run specifically for account groups, rather than pre-determined 'standard' sections like 'Income' or 'Assets' that are used on the Profit and Loss or Balance Sheet. This means that any groups you make, while created as a sub-group of a default group that already exists, will also be available to choose if you want to run the report for just that group, rather than the larger group it's part of.
Other group options:
- Show opening balance - to show the balance at the start of the financial year for the accounts in the group. This option is only available when creating a layout for the Balance Sheet report. This balance will be overridden by an opening balance for any group with a greater hierarchy or if the Show summary only option is being used.
Show summary only- on the Income Statement and Balance Sheet reports, if you just want the Group name to appear on the report with a total of all accounts in that group shown. On the Tracking Summary report, the Show summary only option won't affect the display of the report because the report is displayed using tracking options and not accounts.If you select the Show summary only option, you will be able to drill further down into the group to view the Account Group Summary report.
- Define how accounts are grouped:
- Account code begins with - enter one or more numbers or letters to correspond with the way you have used account codes in your chart of accounts to include all accounts that begin in this way. For example, use the account code 84 for your Owner related accounts , enter this number to group all Owner related accounts together.
- Account code is within range - enter a start and end number or sequence you have used in your chart of accounts to pick up any accounts that are included in that range.
- The default option is to not have accounts automatically added so if you leave this as is, any time you add a new account that you want included in a group on the report, you'll have to edit your report layout to include it.
To remove the layout from Xero altogether. Click Layout Options and select Choose Layout. You can then use the X icon next to the relevant report layout to delete this layout directly. You can also delete the layout from the Layout Details screen.
Video: Report customizing options (1:21)
Video: Creating report groups (1:04)