Balance Sheet (older version)
Access the older version of the Balance Sheet report. You'll need to use this older version of the report if you'd like to see foreign currency conversion details. The Balance Sheet gives you a snapshot of the assets, liabilities and equity of your organization as at a particular date.
- In the Reports menu, select All Reports.
- Under Financial, select Balance Sheet.
The older version Balance Sheet uses a balance date of the current month by default. There are a couple of options that you control for running and displaying the report.
- Sorting and filtering - change the sort order and/or filter on tracking categories (if you have set these up for this organization). If you're using multi-currency, you can also convert the report to a different currency.
- Layout options - change the report layout or create your own layout to show headings and groups of accounts of your choosing.
Choose options by which to re-run the report
- Balance Date - The end of the month at which you want to view the Balance Sheet.
- Compare To - Choose a comparison option to show Balance Sheet items at that time against the balance date chosen for this report.
- Choose from one of the following if you don't want to use the default 'Previous year' option:
- Previous year
- Previous quarter
- Last year end
- Previous month
Choose how many periods you want to compare the chosen time block against. You can choose up to 12 periods back from the date of the report if you don't want to use the default 'Previous 1 Period' option.
Click More options to display fields to sort and filter the report or convert to a different currency if you use multi-currency.
If the Cash Basis checkbox is selected, the report shows only cash transactions within the specified date range.
Choose how to sort your accounts
Choose how the accounts listed in each section of the report will be sorted:
- Alphabetically in order of account name (default)
- Numerically in order of account code
Choose how to filter your accounts
If you have set up tracking categories for this organization, 'Filter by' fields will display so that you can filter the report based on your tracking options.
By default, the report will not be filtered, you need to choose an option from the tracking category. For each tracking category displayed, you can choose to view the report with no filter.
Only transactions in the period of the report that match the tracking option(s) chosen will used to determine the totals and accounts displayed.
If there are no transactions for the period or date range for the tracking option(s) you have chosen, the report will be empty.
When you've entered the details of the report you want to run, click Update to re-generate the report.
Amounts coded to accounts that are in the categories of Assets, Liabilities and Equity as set up in your Chart of Accounts will display. Accounts will be in different categories or groups if you have customized this report.
Transactions displayed are those that occurred in these accounts in the financial year ending the balance date you have chosen for the report.
Your financial year is specified by you on the Financial Settings screen. It's December by default unless you changed it when first setting up Xero.
Account codes only display if you have chosen to sort the report by account code.
If you have chosen to filter the report by one or more tracking options, only transactions matching these options will be shown on the report. The report heading will include the name of the option chosen so you know which option you have filtered by.
Regardless of the date of a transaction, its amount will only be recorded against an account in your chart of accounts once it has been approved.
Click on the account name to view the overall summary for that account by way of the Account Summary Report.
Click on an amount to view the transactions that make up this amount. The transactions displayed will be those that occur in the financial year ending the Balance Date chosen. Transactions are displayed using the Account Transactions Report.
If you have customized your report and created a group of 'rolled up' accounts, click on the account group amount or opening balance amount to see all the accounts and amounts. The opening balance will show all amounts before the start of the financial year. Accounts that make up the group are displayed using the Account Group Summary report.
Unless you specify otherwise by choosing or creating a different layout, the report will be displayed in Xero's standard format by default. Use the Layout Options button to change the format of the report. Layouts created for the Balance Sheet can't be used by any other reports.
The Layout Options button will show one or more options depending on how the report is currently being displayed:
- Create new layout - available at all times whether you're viewing the report using the Xero standard layout or one that's been created for the report.
- Edit this layout - available if you're viewing the report using a layout created by you or someone else in your organization. You can't edit the Xero standard layout.
- Choose layout - switch to another layout (including the Xero standard layout) created by you or someone else in your organization.
- Save as favorite - make the layout available for the report in all the organizations you have access to in Xero.