Convert from QuickBooks to Xero
Convert your own QuickBooks file to Xero for free. Add the name of your United States business to Xero, then upload your QuickBooks file. We'll convert the file's data into Xero and set up your organization for you. You'll need to be choosing a pricing plan, not starting a trial.
Conversion and organization setup typically happens in 3 hours, but may take up to a few business days (depending on how much data you're converting).
Check we can convert your QuickBooks file
US editions of QuickBooks, version 2007 or newer.
QuickBooks files with one currency. Check that multi-currency in QuickBooks has never been turned on.
Data for the current fiscal year, and the previous fiscal year if QuickBooks holds this data.
You can convert data from earlier fiscal years, for a cost, using one of our app partners.
Prepare QuickBooks accounts for conversion
Now that you have checked we can convert your QuickBooks file, prepare your QuickBooks accounts.
- Tidy up QuickBooks data
If you need to do accounting work to tidy up the file, do it before you convert to Xero.
For example, make sure you have fully reconciled all bank accounts and applied open credits to the correct invoices or bills.
- Ensure maximum of 699 accounts in the chart of accounts (including inactive accounts)
If the chart of accounts has more that 699 accounts, you'll need to remove some. Do this by merging duplicate accounts and deleting inactive accounts. (Make sure you select the Include inactive checkbox in your chart of accounts to list active and inactive accounts.)
- Turn on account numbers
Account numbers in QuickBooks convert to account codes in Xero. Xero requires account codes.
Consider these tasks also
- Add account numbers to unnumbered accounts in your chart of accounts
If you leave any accounts unnumbered, we'll assign them a number (based on the US GAAP numbering system).
- Renumber sub-accounts
For example, if the master account is numbered 6000, renumber sub-accounts to 6000.10, 6000.20 and so on.
Save your QuickBooks file
Save your file as QBB, QBW or QBXML format.
- If using QuickBooks Online, convert the file to a QBXML format
- Log in to QB Online Edition as the Administrator using Windows IE 10 (or newer).
- Click Company Name, then Export Data.
- On Export Overview, click Get Started.
- If you need to, install ActiveX Controls and click Continue.
- Select All Financial Data, then click Continue.
- Download your file. Select I’m creating a local copy to keep on my computer.
- Save your file with the QBXML file extension.
- If using QuickBooks for Mac, convert the file to Windows. (In QuickBooks, choose File, then Back up to QuickBooks for Windows.)
Your file size must be less than 1GB.
Add your organization to Xero and upload QuickBooks file
- If you're already signed up for a Xero account and have started a trial of Xero, add another organization that isn't a trial.
Enter the name of your organization, then select the country where the organization pays taxes. Click Convert your QuickBooks file for free.
Select the Convert my QuickBooks file checkbox.
Click Choose File, then navigate to and select the QuickBooks file saved to your computer.
If the file has a password, enter the:
- QuickBooks Administrator Username
- QuickBooks Administrator Password
We won't be able to convert the file if you enter the user name and password of someone who doesn't hold the QuickBooks Administrator role.
Intuit QuickBooks Learn & Support (Intuit website)
Click Continue. Your QuickBooks file will now start uploading.
If an error displays during conversion or if you just want to keep an eye on progress, you can view progress and fix errors in a QuickBooks to Xero conversion.
Take over subscription after conversion and organization set up
We'll send you an email after we've converted your file and set up the organization, and we'll ask you to become the subscriber. You will need to log in and accept the subscription transfer, then choose a pricing plan and enter your billing details.