Create a timesheet for an employee
If an employee hasn’t submitted their timesheet for the pay period, create a new one and use an existing timesheet template, and approve it before processing a pay run. You'll need Payroll Admin access to create employee timesheets.
Before you start
- If a pay period has a Paid status, you won't be able to create a timesheet for any employees. You’ll need to make an unscheduled pay run.
- If an employee is already included in a draft pay run, you'll need to remove them from the pay run before you can create the timesheet.
Create an employee timesheet
- From Payroll, select Timesheets.
- In the Employee field, select the employee you want to create a timesheet for.
In the Period field, select the time period the employee worked.If the pay period you want isn't available, a draft timesheet may already exist. The employee will have to submit or delete it before you can continue.
- (Optional) From Load Timesheet Template, select a template.
- Click Add.
- Select the Earnings Type.
Enter the number of hours the employee worked for each day they worked. Xero automatically updates the total as you enter the hours.
If you’ve assigned a holiday group in the employee’s Employment tab, leave the day blank in the timesheet. Then edit the hours/rate in a draft pay run on the Holidays earnings line.
If they’re not assigned a holiday group, enter the number of hours they're entitled to in the timesheet (timesheets override the other information in the pay run).
- (Optional) Click Add another line to enter more earnings types and hours.
- Click Save Draft to review the timesheet later, or Approve it now.
- Click Close.