Manually register payroll payments for direct deposit
Set up your direct deposit payroll payments manually for direct deposit through Xero. You'll need to add a primary contact and bank account in Xero, then review, electronically sign, and submit the Terms of Service to our direct deposit partner. You'll need to enter test debits to verify the bank account.
Add a primary contact and bank account
- In the Settings menu, select General Settings.
- Under Features, click Payroll Settings.
- Click Electronic Services.
Review your Account Settings including your bank account, account number, routing number and account type.If you need to update these details, you can edit accounts in your Chart of Accounts. Any errors or conflicting information may cause delays or requests for further information to verify your account.
- Under Contact details, add:
- The person who will be the primary contact and their phone number.
- The owner or officer, their contact information including Social Security number. You'll be asked to confirm the last four digits of their Social Security number are correct.
- Click Save then Submit.
Xero emails the Terms of Service to the owners and officers. Once they are reviewed, signed, and submitted, you'll receive an email about when to enter test debits to verify your bank account.
Verify bank account and set limits
After you receive a confirmation email, you'll need to debit two small transactions (under $1) from your bank account through Xero and also provide pay check limits.
Verify your bank account by processing two small debits.
- Click the link in the email, and log in to Xero.
- Find the two debits from Xero (under $1) on your bank account statement for your direct deposit account. The debits should appear in your account 1-2 business days after Forte receives your set-up application for direct deposit.
- In the Settings menu, select Payroll Settings.
- Enter debit amounts in the Debit by Xero fields. You must type two digits in each field, with no decimal points.
- Click Verify.
Set your paycheck limits and email to Xero
Contact Xero Support with the following information:
- Highest dollar pay check you'll need for direct deposit
- Highest dollar amount you'll need per month for all of direct deposit
What happens next?
Forte will review your application. When approved, Xero will send you a confirmation email and you can begin paying your employees with direct deposit. They will appear as separate entries on your business bank account statement.
Until that time you can pay your employees using paper checks. We will contact you if Forte needs any additional information during setup.