Adjust previous payroll payments or make an unscheduled payment
If you have Payroll Admin access, make an unscheduled pay run to correct errors or make extra payments. For example, you can correct underpayments for wages and taxes that you've reversed, fix bonuses, or adjust opening balances.
How it works
Use an unscheduled pay run to:
- Adjust an existing pay run for specific employees or payments (not for your normal pay runs)
- Correct errors made in earlier pay runs 90 days from the current date (today's date)
- Cover the dates you missed earlier (if you skip a pay period to process a pay run for a future date)
For reversed taxes that aren't marked as paid, Xero creates and applies credit notes to tax bills of the same tax period with outstanding balances. Reversed taxes also reduce the payment amount due shown in Taxes & Filings.
Create and process an unscheduled pay run
- In the Payroll menu, select Pay Runs.
- Remove any existing draft pay runs in the period you want to use (you can only have one pay run for each pay period).
Under New Pay Run, select Unscheduled Pay Run.
- Click Process Pay Run.
Select a pay calendar and a pay period.If you're correcting a mistake from an earlier pay run, make sure you select the same pay calendar and period as the incorrect pay run.
- Click Create.
- (Optional) In the Payment Date field, select a new date for the payment.
- (Optional) In the Starting Check # field, select a new check number.
- Select the employee checkboxes to include them in the pay run.
- (Optional) From each employee's Payment Method, select the method to pay them.
- (Optional) Click the employee name, amend their paystub, then click Save & Close. Repeat for each employee as needed.
- (Optional) Click the Memo button to add a personal message to the employee’s paystub.
- Click Pay Employees.
- Click Complete Pay Run.
You can now send paystubs to your employees.