Add a pay run and pay employees
Create a scheduled pay run then if you need to, adjust your employees’ pay. When you're ready to pay your employees, complete the pay run to pay them in Xero and calculate your taxes. You can't delete the pay run once it's complete.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- Set up payroll, add employees and their opening balances.
- Add a pay schedule and create employee pay templates.
- Decide how you'll pay your employees.
- Register for direct deposit if you're using this payment method and add each employee’s bank account information.
- Approve all employee time off requests and timesheets so they're included in the pay run.
Process a pay run and pay employees
- In the Payroll menu, select Pay Runs.
- In the New Pay Run field, select a pay schedule.
- Click Process Pay Run.
- Review the pay run details and employee payment methods.
- (Optional) In the Paystub Message field, enter a message to show at the bottom of the paystubs for all employees in the pay run.
- Click each employee’so name to view their payslip and check their pay details.
- (Optional) Adjust an employee's pay.
(Optional) Click the plus icon to add a personal message to the individual employee's paystub.
Click Pay Employees.
- Click Complete Pay Run.
Completing the pay run starts payment for the selected employees (depending on their payment method) and creates payroll tax invoices. If they're paid electronically by direct deposit, Xero pays them automatically. If they're paid by check, Xero downloads their checks for printing. If you pay your employees manually, you'll need to to arrange payment to them yourself.
Once you've completed a pay run, you can send paystubs to employees. Depending on the payment method you use, you'll also need to reconcile the payroll payments in your bank account.
You can run the Journal Report for the pay run date to view the pay run journals.