Edit paid customer credit notes
Open and view customer credit notes that have been fully allocated or cash refunded to see the sales invoices and amounts credited or refunded. From paid credit notes you can also access a few options for the credit note. You can edit, void, remove credit allocations to invoices, print or email to a customer.
What can you do with 'paid' credit notes?
Find credit note
Credit note and Credit on invoice
A credit note that is 'paid' is one that has been fully allocated to one or more invoices in Xero and has 0.00 as the remaining credit balance.
Credit notes are accessed from a couple of places.
- Select a credit note from the Paid tab.
- Select a credit note directly off an invoice - only if the full amount of the credit note was applied to the invoice will it be a paid credit note.
- Drill down into a credit note from reports that list individual transactions.
Edit the Contact's address or account & tracking details
The Contact name and the address details you have saved for them will display on the invoice.
- Click on the Contact name to view or edit the full contact details and notes you have recorded for that person or organization.
- Click the 'Edit' link to add or change the address information only. This will update the address for this Contact, not just for this credit note.
- If you've entered a Xero network key received from another Xero organization, a symbol will display next to their name (but is not used for anything on a Paid credit note).
Edit account & tracking options
Edit the account or tracking options only for the credit note by choosing 'Edit' from the Credit Note Options menu. No other credit note details can be changed.
Delete credit allocation
Remove credit applied to an invoice
Click the X icon next to the dollar amount on an invoice to remove the credit note.
The credit note returns to the Awaiting Payment status. If the credited amount fully paid the invoice, the invoice also returns to Awaiting Payment.
Email or Print
Credit notes can be emailed or printed for your customers as PDFs. You're likely to do this from a paid credit note if the customer has requested a copy.
- Click Email to email a credit note to one or more recipients.
- Click Print PDF to open the credit note as a PDF if you'd like to use this as a preview of what you're emailing, or to print the credit note to post to your customer
- You can print more than one paid credit note at once from the Paid tab.
- For any of these options you can choose to mark the credit note as sent if it's not already.
- If the credit note is already marked as sent, this will display on the credit note and you can remove this as necessary by clicking the 'Unmark as sent' link.
Credit Note Options
Click Credit Note Options for a list of other actions you can perform on a paid credit note.
- Use the 'Copy' option to create a copy of the credit note.
- Use the 'Edit' option to edit the credit note as described above
Click on any invoices that have been allocated credit from this credit note.
You can also delete amounts allocated to invoices from here if necessary.
History & Notes
Enter a note or view the history for this invoice.