Add or post multiple manual journals
Add multiple draft manual journals at once by entering the details into a CSV template then importing it into Xero, or post multiple draft journals to the general ledger at the same time.
Post multiple draft manual journals at the same time
In the Reports menu, select All Reports.
If you have the Advisor user role, you can also access Manual Journals from the Advisor menu.
- Under Accounting, select Journal Report.
- Click Manual Journals to get to the Manual Journals screen.
- Select the Draft tab.
- Select the checkboxes of the journals you want to post.
- Click Post, then click OK.
View posted journals on the Posted tab of the Manual Journals screen, or in the Journal Report.
Import multiple draft manual journals into Xero
- Download a manual journal template file from Xero
- Enter journal details into the template
- Save your file in CSV format and import it back into Xero
Download a manual journal template file from Xero
- In the Advisor menu, select Manual Journals.
- Click Import.
- Click Download template file.
Enter journal details into the template
Use one CSV template to create:
- A single draft manual journal using the same date and narration for each line that you enter.
- Multiple draft manual journals using a new narration and/or a different date for each separate journal you want to create.
In a spreadsheet editor such as Microsoft Excel, open the manual journal template file you've downloaded from Xero and enter the journal details.
|Narration||This field is mandatory. Use the same narration and date for each group of rows you want to import as lines in the same journal.|
|Date||This field is mandatory. The date format needs to be either mm/dd/yyyy or mmm dd yyyy. For example, 6/30/2017 or Jun 30 2017.|
|Description||This field is optional. You can have a different description for each row or journal line.|
|AccountCode||This field is mandatory. Enter the account code number from your chart of accounts. Don't include the account name. For example, 200.|
|Tax Rate||This field is mandatory. Enter the full tax rate name as it appears in your tax settings in Xero. For example, 'Sales Tax on Imports'.|
|Amount||This field is mandatory. The amount will be treated as a debit if it's positive, or a credit if it's a negative.|
|TrackingName and TrackingOption||These fields are optional. Enter the Tracking Category Name and related Tracking Option within the category for the journal. The value entered for the option must match the category, as per your organization's Tracking Settings.|
Save your file in CSV format and import it back into Xero
- Save your file with .csv as the file extension. For example, you might name your file 2015Journals.csv.
- In Xero, return to the Import Manual Journal screen and click Browse, then select the file.
- Click Import to upload the file and create a draft manual journal in Xero.
- Review the message in Xero and click Complete Import if you're happy with the results.