Getting Started: Start working in Xero
Now that you've set up your organization in Xero, here are 11 things you can do to get you going. They're in no particular order; you should start off with whatever makes sense for your business, and at what point in your business you're starting in Xero.
- View Xero videos (Xero TV)
- Add bank accounts, set up automatic bank feeds
- Import and reconcile bank statement lines
- Enter invoices, bills, transactions, expense claims
- Add or import contacts
- Invite other users
- Set up tracking categories
- Add or import inventory items
- Set up a fixed asset register
- Create a budget
- Run reports to see how your business is doing
Add bank accounts, set up automatic bank feeds
- Add bank accounts you didn't include as part of setup.
- Set up bank feeds so that your online bank data comes into Xero automatically each day ready for you to reconcile to invoices, bills and transactions entered into Xero.
Import and reconcile bank statement lines
- from the date you started using Xero
as far back as your conversion date to catch up if you have a lot of past online bank transactions to bring into Xero. If your conversion date is a while ago, we recommend you download your transactions month by month so they’re easier to keep track of.Contact your accountant or bookkeeper if you're not sure if you should do this, or if these statement lines are already included in your conversion balance when you set up your organization in Xero.
Reconcile each bank statement line to invoices, bills or other transactions already created in Xero, or create these as you go.
Enter invoices, bills, transactions, expense claims
- sales invoices for your customers
- bills from your suppliers (purchases)
- spend money (cash) transactions that you don't have a bill for
- receive money (cash) transactions that you don't have an invoice for
- expense claims
Set up repeating invoices or bills for invoices or bills you regularly send to customers or receive from suppliers.
Add or import contacts
Add or import contacts: the people you regularly transact with.
Invite other users
Invite other people to be users of your organization, like your accountant or bookkeeper, to check what you’ve done or help out.
Set up tracking categories
Set up tracking categories if you want to track expenditure and revenue across specific areas of your business, for example, cost centers, vehicles, sales people or branch offices.
Set up tracking categories to monitor different areas of your business
Add or import inventory items
Create inventory items for things you regularly invoice or get invoiced for to speed up the entry.
Create a budget
Create a budget for the upcoming financial year so you can include budgeted figures alongside actuals in your reports.
Run reports to see how your business is doing
Access and browse the reports available.
Your Trial Balance will be most useful right now if you've come from an existing accounting system. You'll be able to make sure your starting figures in Xero match where you left your previous system.