Pay a credit note refund by check
Create a check payment for a credit note refund, then print the check or save it for printing later.
- In the Accounts menu, select Sales.
- Click the Awaiting Payment tab.
Click the credit note you want to pay by check.
- Under Make a cash refund, enter the refund details.
Select the Pay by check checkbox.
- Click Add Refund.
- Enter the Pay by Check details.
- Print the check or save it for later.
Pay by Check fields explained
This section provides guidance and tips on the Pay by Check fields.
You can change the number to the next available number, or a check number you deleted.
You cannot reuse a check number on an uncleared, reconciled, or voided check from the same bank account. Check numbers are unique across bank accounts.
You can change the payee. Both names appear on the check - the original payee displays as a reference so you know who the payment is to.
Add, edit, or delete a memo to display on the check.
If you add or change the address of your payee, this will also update the contact's postal address.
You can change the style applied to the check.
Print and Save fields explained
This section provides guidance and tips on the Print and Save fields.
Save and Print PDF
Before you print the check, you'll need to:
- Change the page scaling to none so the check fits the preprinted check voucher exactly.
- If this is your first time printing this check style or you've changed the print alignment, do a test print onto blank US-letter paper. You may need to adjust the print alignment.
- Use compatible check stock.
Save the check payment in the following situations:
- If you want to print the check from Xero later.
- If you want to use your own check book or other check printing software.