Import a budget
Import a new budget or import an existing budget that you've updated. You'll need the Advisor or Standard user role to import a budget.
Rules for importing a budget
Make sure you follow these rules so Xero will import your file:
- Your budget file must be in the CSV, Microsoft Excel or ODS format. If you have a TXT file, you can convert it to CSV.
- If you’re using a Microsoft Excel or ODS file, Xero only reads the first worksheet in your file. Make sure the first worksheet contains your budget data.
- You can import files with incomplete data. For example, you might only have a subset of accounts or dates.
- Data doesn’t need to be in date or numerical order.
- Imported budget data replaces any existing budget data with the same account or date.
- Account name & number - These are mandatory and must be in the 1st column of the file. You must use the account name followed by the account number in parentheses. For example, 'Interest Income (230)'.
Months - Must be in the 1st row and in one of these formats:
- MM-YYYY. For example, 07-2016.
- MMM-YYYY. For example, Jul-2016.
- DD-MM-YYYY. For example, 21-07-2016.
- MM-DD-YYYY. For example, 07-21-2016.
- If your date format contains a day value, Xero will ignore it. Budgets are set for whole months.
- Blank, zero and negative data - Xero imports cells that contain zero (0.00, or 0) and negative figures. It ignores cells that are blank.
Import a budget into Xero
- In the Reports menu, select Budget Manager.
- Select the budget to import (overall budget or another budget you've created).
- Start - The month you want your budget to start from.
- Actuals - The number of historical periods you'd like to show for comparison.
- Period - The number of months in your budget.
- Click Import.
Click Download template and select your preferred format.
- Using a spreadsheet program, add your data to the downloaded file. If you've already created a budget, copy your data into the downloaded file using the template's existing column format.
- Save the file to your computer as a CSV, Microsoft Excel or ODS file.
- Click Browse to select the file to import.
- Click Import.