Sales by Item report
The Sales by Item report shows all sales of untracked inventory items. The report also shows other sales for goods and services that aren't on your inventory list.
This report is available from Xero's Report Centre: Reports > All Reports.
Your user role will determine if you can see this report, and whether you can save and publish it or just view it.
Reports and budget role comparison
Use the Sales by Item screen to:
- choose the data to show in the report then generate it
- view inventory items sold
- what the report summary shows
- select individual items to drill down into the Inventory Item Sales report
Choose or update the report options then generate the report. Use the:
- From field to choose the date you want the report to start from
- To field to choose the date you want to run the report until.
Then use the Update button to generate your report. Use the Update button each time you change the date or other report options.
If you are viewing a report produced by someone with the Adviser user role, you may see notes or a summary on the report. You may be able to
export, archive or edit the report, depending on your user role.
User roles in Xero
Your generated report will list every item used on a receive money transaction or approved sales invoice during the period of the report. If items don't display it means you didn't use them on invoices or receive money transactions, or Xero hasn't counted them as sold (for example, they're invoices with a status of draft or awaiting approval).
Your generated report will show your report transaction information in columns. The:
- Item column displays the inventory item code and description in that order unless you choose to sort by description (in which case description comes first). Xero limits report descriptions to the first 30 characters. Descriptions that have been changed on individual transactions will not display on the report.
- Current Unit Price shows the price of this item saved against the inventory item
- Quantity Sold shows how many of these items you've sold
- Total is the total amount of all sales of this item after discounts are deducted
- Average Price is the average price the item was sold at using all prices the item was charged at during the period.
How Xero displays prices and totals on the report
Xero displays prices and totals according to the prices you entered into the inventory item regardless of the VAT that was applied on the transaction.
If you've used different prices on your transactions to those on the inventory item, the transaction prices will be used in the calculation of the total and average price. An example of this is when you've applied a discount percentage to the line item.
If any inventory items have a 0.00 price, this will display as the current unit price along with the actual price you charged for the item on your transaction(s), if not 0.00.
- Summary section compares the total income from untracked inventory items with income from other sources during the period of the report. Other sources can include invoices and receive money transactions for other goods and services that are not inventory items, i.e. a special order or service.
- Total Sales figure is the total income from all approved invoices and receive money transactions during the period of the report.
Click on an individual item to view a list of approved invoices and receive money transactions that make up the total sales of that item on the Inventory Item Sales report.