General Ledger Report
The General Ledger Report shows all transactions from all accounts for a chosen date range. The initial summary report shows the totals for each account and from here you can view a detailed transaction report or any exceptions. This report is useful for checking every transaction that occurred during a certain period of time.
Reports are available from Reports > All Reports. Your user role will determine whether you can see this report, and if so, whether you can save and publish it or just view it.
Reports and budget role comparison
- Generate the report
- How transactions are displayed in the report
- Select individual transactions
- Export a detailed General Ledger Report to Excel
- View the General Ledger Exceptions report
- Export your report
Elsewhere in Help Centre:
- General Ledger Exceptions report
- Add a summary
- Add a footnote
- Add detail reports to main report
- Publish the report
The General Ledger report is made up of a General Ledger Summary and General Ledger Exceptions. It's generated for the current month showing a list of the accounts that have transactions for the current month.
The General Ledger Summary is displayed by default. Choose options by which to re-run the report:
Select the date range you want the report to cover using the 'From' and 'To' boxes. It will show the current month by default.
If you change the date range and click 'Update', the date range will be updated on the General Ledger Exceptions tab as well.
Choose how the accounts listed on the report will be sorted:
- Account Name: sorts alphabetically in order of account name (default).
- Account Code: sorts numerically in order of account code.
If the Cash Basis checkbox is selected, the report shows only cash transactions within the specified date range.
When the details of the report you want to run are entered or updated, click Update to re-generate the report.
If you're viewing a report produced by someone with the Adviser user role, you may see notes or a summary on the report. You may be able to export, archive or edit the report, depending on your user role.
Reports and budget role comparison
- Accounts where transactions have occurred between the dates you have chosen to run the report will be displayed.
- For each of these accounts, the total debits and credits will be displayed.
- Accounts are displayed alphabetically or in code number order depending on the report option chosen.
- Columns showing the opening balance and year to date balance are displayed if the 'Show YTD' option has been chosen. These balances are based on the financial year setting specified by you in Financial Settings.
- Net movement is the difference between the debit and credit amounts for each account for the chosen time period.
Regardless of the date of a transaction, its amount will only be recorded against an account in your chart of accounts once it has been approved i.e. invoices or bills that have been approved and are on the Sales or Purchases Awaiting Payment tabs, or expense claims that have been authorised. Spend and receive money transactions display immediately.
If you are using multi-currency, the report footnotes show the figures that were converted into your base currency for the purpose of reporting in one currency and at what rate the conversion rate occurred. They also show where the rate was taken from (i.e. whether it was an XE rate or a rate entered by a user). Find out more on how multi-currency reports in Xero work.
Click on the account name to view an overall summary for that account by way of the Account Summary Report.
Click on an amount to view the individual transactions that make up this amount by way of the Account Transactions Report.
The General Ledger Report displays summary information by default i.e. the name of each account and the total debits and credits for that account for the dates you have chosen for the report. Click on the Export details General Ledger report to Excel button to generate a report in Excel showing all the transactions occurring within each of the accounts displayed.
The detailed report shows:
- Each account listed as having transactions occurring between the dates you chose to run the General Ledger report for.
- All the transactions (regardless of type) in each account for the period of the report and the debit and credit totals for each.
- The transaction type, reference and tax percentage applied to each transaction where applicable. If you've used things like cheque numbers in the spend money reference field or purchase order numbers in bill fields, these will display.
- Descriptions entered as line items on invoices, bills, transactions and expense claim receipts also display and if a transaction had more than one line item, the description for each line item displays on individual rows.
- Transaction types are identified as:
- INV: Invoices
- PAY: Payment or cash refund
- MJ: Manual journal
- EC: Expense claim
- CN: Credit note (date of credit note)
- APP: Date credit note applied to invoice
- BT: Bank transfer
- SB: Starting Balance
- ADJ: a system-generated minor adjustment where Xero represents one payment for several invoices as individual journals, rather than one journal with multiple payments.
- PR: Wage payable bill
- The total debits and credits and the net movement for each account.
- If you have chosen 'Show YTD' to run the summary report, both the opening and year to date balances will be shown.
- If you have ticked 'Cash Basis', the report shows only cash transactions within the specified date range.
Select the General Ledger Exceptions tab to access the General Ledger Exceptions Report showing transactions considered 'out of the ordinary' for the accounts displayed on the General Ledger Summary. Transactions singled out for this report are those that have had their tax option changed, or are unusually high or low compared to other transactions in the account.
To export the report:
Click Export, then select your preferred export option:
- PDF (printable format)
- Google Sheets
- Open, save or print the file as you need.