Add or edit a Projects invoice
Add a new invoice in Projects, edit an existing Projects invoice, or open an existing invoice from a Project. You can also edit a line item assigned to a Project.
Add a new Projects invoice
To add a new Projects invoice, click the Invoice button on the project you want to create an invoice for. The information you'll need to enter depends on the type of Project invoice you're creating.
- Deposit invoice - used to invoice the customer a deposit on a project that can be applied as a credit on future invoices.
- Tasks & expenses invoice - creates an itemised invoice for chargeable tasks and expenses that haven’t been invoiced yet.
- Project amount invoice - used to invoice the client for a lump-sum amount that isn’t associated with chargeable tasks or expenses.
Edit a Projects invoice
If you need to edit an invoice assigned to a project, you'll need to make the changes on the original invoice. How the project updates depends on whether you're editing or deleting the invoice.
- If you edit the Unit Price, or delete the line item, it will update the Invoiced total, and the entry on the Invoices tab on the project.
- If you delete an invoice with line items assigned to a project, it will update the Invoiced total and remove the entry from the Invoices tab on the project.
- If you change which project the line item is assigned to, it will update the invoiced total and remove the entry from the original project’s Invoices tab. Then, it will create a new project amount invoice and update the Invoiced total on the project you’ve reassigned it to.
- Amounts in Projects are always tax exclusive, and always in your organisation's currency. If you change your invoice to be tax inclusive, or in another currency, the project will still show the tax exclusive amount or the converted amount in your organisation's currency.
- If you’ve received a deposit on a project, you can change how much of that deposit is credited to a line item on an invoice. For example, if you have a deposit of 1,200, but only want to apply -500 to the invoice, you can change the line item amount to -500. The project will update and you will have 700 available to apply as a credit on your next invoice.
Open an invoice from project
If you need to edit an invoice that has line items assigned to a project, you can open it directly from the project itself. To do this:
- In the Projects menu, select All projects.
- Click the project name, then click Invoices.
- Find the invoice you want to edit, then click View.
Edit an invoice line item assigned to a project
- Find and open your invoice.
- Click Invoice options, then select Edit.
- Make your changes, then click Update.
Click Save or Approve.