Pay an employee’s expense claim using payroll
Repay an employee’s expense claim by adding it to their payments in a draft pay run from payroll so they can see the reimbursement on their payslip and you can claim back the VAT.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- Create a suspense account in your chart of accounts, with the 'Enable payments to this account' checkbox selected. For example, expense claim suspense.
- Create a reimbursement pay item. For example, expense claim reimbursements.
- Link the reimbursement pay item to the suspense account.
- Approve and authorise the employee's expense claim in in Xero.
- From a draft pay run, click the employee who needs a reimbursement.
- Click Add Reimbursement Line.
- Enter the claim amount.
- Click OK then click Save.
- Post the pay run.
Once the pay run is posted, you'll need to record the payment.
- In the Accounts menu, select Expense Claims.
- Click the Awaiting Payment tab.
- Open the expense claim you want to record.
- Enter the payment details and select the same suspense account as the reimbursement pay item.
- Click Paid.
- Run the Account Transactions report for the suspense account.
- Make sure the debit and credit entries for the claim are the same.