Set up statutory leave, holidays and time off
Set up time off accruals and balances for your new employees so you can keep track of their statutory leave and time off totals when they request leave.
Before you start
Before configuring and requesting time off you need to add employee salary and employment information.
Then you can calculate your employee's eligibility for:
Holiday entitlements - Calculate holiday entitlement (gov.uk website)
Agricultural workers - Calculate your agricultural worker holiday entitlement (gov.uk website)
Statutory paternity, shared parental, and adoption leave - Calculate maternity and paternity leave (gov.uk website)
Statutory maternity and sick leave - Xero will calculate SMP and SSP as you request them.
If you're eligible for Small Employers Relief, make sure to set up your organisation to receive those additional claims when assigning statutory time off balances.Claim Small Employers Relief (SER)
Set up statutory leave and time off for new employees
If you're entering time off opening balances as part of setting up your employee, you only need to do this once, before the employee's first pay run.
- Go to Payroll, then click Employees.
- Click the name of the employee to open their details.
- Select the Time Off tab and then click Assign Time Off Type.
Complete the fields:
- Time Off - Choose the type of time off to add to an employee. For example, holidays.
- Schedule of Accrual - Choose to accrue annually at the beginning of the calendar year, on your employee's anniversary work date, or accrue each pay period or hour worked.
- Hours Accrued Annually - Enter the number of hours your employee will accrue annually.
- Maximum to Accrue - Choose the maximum number of hours an employee can accrue. For example, if the Hours Accrued Annually is 40 and the Balance is 20, the Maximum to Accrue is 60.
- Balance - Add an employee's opening balance (in hours) for time off. For example, if you're switching from another payroll system and an employee had 11 hours of time off, you'll enter 11 hours to carry over their balance from the previous system. You can also enter negative balances.
- Click Save.
Once you have assigned the time off types, statutory leave and time off will accrue with your employee balances. Their pay will update whenever you submit and approve new time off requests for them.