Create and approve an employee's timesheet
If an employee hasn’t submitted their timesheet for the pay period, create one and approve it at the same time before processing a pay run.
How it works
- You must have Payroll Admin user access to create and approve timesheets for employees.
- You can only enter numbers. All entries are treated as hours (HH) unless you add a colon (HH:MM).
- You must enter a number before a colon otherwise, your entry resets to 0:00. For example, :30 or :8 reset to 0:00.
- You can't enter more than five numbers.
- If you don't enter anything, Xero uses 0:00.
Before you start
If you want to track payroll expenditure, set up tracking for timesheets.
Create and approve a timesheet
- In the Payroll menu, select Timesheets.
- From Any Status, select Unsubmitted to see the timesheets that need to be created or completed for the current pay run.
Click Create beside the employee you want to create a timesheet for.
Click a time block to enter the time the employee worked.
Select the earnings type.
- (Optional) If you want to track the employee's time, select a tracking category.
Enter the number of hours the employee worked.The summary area updates automatically as you add information.
- (Optional) Click Add New to enter more earnings types and hours.
- Edit the remaining time blocks to complete the timesheet.
- Click Approve.