Employee sick leave
Add or adjust employee sick leave entitlements. Manage and report on sick leave requests.
How it works
- You can add sick leave entitlements when you set up an employee's leave.
- The Schedule of accrual in an employee's sick leave settings determine how their leave accrues in Xero, for example Annually after 6 months. The sick leave entitlement will show once the employee appears in a Scheduled pay run that includes the date they become entitled to the leave.
- Employee's sick leave balance can be updated if their entitlement changes.
Sick leave requests
You can also submit a leave request for an employee.
If an employee doesn't have a current sick leave entitlement you can approve sick leave in advance, or add a pay item for a custom leave type like 'leave without pay' or 'unpaid sick' leave.
Approved sick leave will be processed the next time the employee appears in a pay run, including leave for past pay periods.
You can use the Leave Requests report to see leave requests for an employee, or all employees.
Adjust an employee's sick leave balance
- In the Payroll menu, select Employees.
- Click the employee's name to open their details.
- Click the Leave tab.
- Click the Sick Leave amount to Edit Leave Type fields.
Update the Schedule of Accrual, Hours Accrued Annually, Maximum to Accrue and Opening Balance fields as needed.If you update the employee's Schedule of Accrual the new accrual method will only apply going forward. If the change affects the employee's current entitlement, adjust the opening balance by the amount of the change, for example to increase the entitlement by 40 hours, add 40 to the Opening Balance.
- Click Save.