Pay an employee for working a public holiday
If an employee works on a public holiday, you'll need to add a time and a half pay item to their payslip during a pay run so that they're paid correctly.
Before you start
- Set up a time and a half earnings type for your organisation
- Assign a holiday group to the employee so that the public holidays appear in their payslips
Check that your public holidays in Xero are right for your organisationXero Mondayises public holidays by default, so to pay an employee for the actual day, you'll need to add the non-Mondayised day into the Holidays tab under Payroll Settings.
Add time and a half earnings to an employee
- In the Payroll menu, select Pay Runs.
- Open the pay run for the period that includes the public holiday.
- Click the name of the employee to open their details.
- Under Earnings, click Add.
- Select the Time and a Half pay item.
- Enter the number of hours that the employee worked for time and a half.
Under Earnings, zero out the hours for the public holiday that the employee worked.
Under Leave Accruals in the Alternative Holidays line, add the standard number of hours for a day (the hours that the employee accrued for working the public holiday).
- Click Save & Close.
- Process the pay run