Assign a holiday group to employees
Select a holiday group for your employees from the list of groups in Xero.
How it works
- Xero lists holiday groups for different regions in New Zealand. Each group contains national holidays (eg Waitangi Day) and regional holidays (eg Wellington Anniversary Day).
- Select the correct regional group for your employee. You can also edit an existing group or create a new group to fit your organisation. When a holiday appears in the calendar, Xero will account for it in payroll.
- Xero manages leave requests in conjunction with the holiday group. For example, an employee may request leave for nine days over the festive season (25 Dec to 2 Jan). As four of those days are public holidays, Xero will only deduct six days from the employee's annual leave.
- Employees won't see their holiday pay balance in the PDF version of their payslip if you:
View holiday groups in Xero
- In the Settings menu, select Payroll Settings.
- Click the Holidays tab.
- Click a region (eg Auckland) to view the holidays listed within the group.
Assign a holiday group to an employee
- In the Payroll menu, select Employees.
- Click the employee's name to open their details.
- Click the Employment tab.
- Under Employment Details, select a holiday group.
- Click Save.