Upload multiple employees into payroll
Upload a file into payroll with information for multiple employees so you don't have to add them one-at-a-time.
Download our two CSV files, add basic data for up to 200 employees including their last 12 months' pay history, and send them back to Xero to upload. Finally, review and amend any details before you process your first pay run.
Before you start
- Set up payroll in Xero
- Set the opening balance date.
- Set up the payroll accounts and pay calendars.
Download and update our sample spreadsheets
- Download and update two files:
Overwrite (or delete) the preloaded sample information in each when you start entering real data for up to 200 employees in total.For further help with formatting or understanding the headings and examples in these CSV files, view the Field descriptions used in payroll upload templates.
- Save the files in the same CSV format to your computer.
Send the CSV files to Xero
Once you've entered your data and saved your files:
- Invite Xero Support as a user in your organisation with Payroll Admin access.
- Contact Xero Support and include the:
- Name of your Xero organisation in the email.
- Attach the employee and earnings upload files.
Xero Support will notify you when the upload is ready for you to review.
Review uploaded employee information and add additional detail
Xero Support will notify you when the uploads are ready for you to review and add or amend detail in the payroll section of Xero, before processing your first pay run. This may include:
- Add earnings, reimbursements and deductions into the employee's pay template.
- Add additional bank accounts for employees with more than one.
- Assign a holiday group to employees.
- Assign employees to an employee group.