Why is Xero telling me I've had a new login?
If you've received an email from Xero telling you there's been a new login from your account, here are some of the reasons you may have received the email and what you need to do.
We might send you this email if you:
- Log in on a new computer, smartphone, tablet or browser
- Login from a new location
- Delete cookies in your browser
- Update your browser, mobile app or operating system
- Use incognito, or private browsing mode
What should I do?
If you recognise the login as safe, click This login was me in the email we sent you. This will unblock sensitive areas of Xero.
If you’ve been blocked from a sensitive area in Xero and can’t find the email we sent you, either:
- Go to Account Settings and click Yes it's me to re-send the email.
- If you use payroll, click Send me a confirmation email in payroll to re-send the email.
Why is my login showing the wrong location?
Sometimes the location reported might be incorrect. We estimate your location from your IP address, so you might see activity from locations that are close to your actual location.
If the time shown in your login history is correct but the location isn't, your network or browser setup may be the cause. Check if you or your workplace is using any of these network or browser services:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Proxy server
- Cloud proxy service
- Domain masking (DNS masking)
If you use any of these services, your login history shows the IP address and location where your connection originates, not the country that you are logging in from.
How can I check my login history if I use any of these network or browser services?
If you're using a VPN or proxy service, you'll need to record the IP address you usually have when using this service (or you could have a range of IP addresses).
Enter the IP address into the MaxMind website, and make a note of the detected location. (MaxMind.com website)
In your login history in Xero, check the IP address and location matches the details you've recorded. If these details do not match, contact Xero Support.
Why is my device unrecognised?
We can’t always see what kind of device you’re using to log in to Xero. If the login time is wrong or the device used was not what you normally use, follow the steps below and get in touch with Xero Support.
What steps can I take if I think there's been suspicious activity?
- Update your anti-malware software and run a full scan of your computer.
- Change your Xero password after the full scan of your computer has finished, and you've confirmed there's no malware on your computer.
- Log into your Xero organisation to check for any suspicious activity, such as your bank account details on invoice templates, sent invoices and employee details.
- Set up two-step authentication on your Xero account.
If you need to contact our team
Please click the Contact Xero Support button below, and give us as much detail as possible.