Edit a Projects invoice with Xero’s new invoicing
Edit an invoice that's assigned to a project. You can edit any line item, but if it's associated with a time entry or expense, the details don't update on the project.
About editing Projects invoices
- If you edit a field that affects the line item amount or you delete the line item, Xero updates the Invoiced total and the invoice on the project's Invoices tab.
- If you delete an invoice with assigned line items, Xero updates the Invoiced total and removes the invoice from the project's Invoices tab.
- If you reassign a line item to a different project, Xero updates the Invoiced total and removes the entry from the original project’s Invoices tab. It then creates a new project amount invoice and updates the Invoiced total on the project you’ve reassigned it to.
- Amounts in Projects are always tax exclusive and always in your organisation's currency. If you change your invoice to be tax inclusive or in another currency, the project still shows the tax exclusive amount or the converted amount in your organisation's currency.
- If you’ve received a deposit on a project, you can change how much of that deposit is credited to a line item on an invoice. For example, if you have a deposit of 1,200 but only want to apply -500 to the invoice, you can change the line item amount to -500. The project will update and you'll have 700 credit available to apply to your next invoice.
Edit an invoice line item assigned to a project
- Find and open your invoice. Use search if you know the contact's name, or invoice amount.
- Click in the line item you want to reassign, then click the project name.
- Make your changes.
The invoice is saved automatically.