Troubleshooting for batch payments
If you're getting errors when trying to upload a batch payment file to your bank, there are a couple of things you can check before contacting your bank.
Check your bank account details
To check the bank account details for your organisation:
- On the Accounts menu, select Bank Accounts.
- Find the bank account you want.
- Click Manage Account, then select Edit Account Details.
- Make sure the correct bank is selected from the list displayed (not just typed in).
- Edit the details if required and click Save.
After making these changes, re-export the batch file and try uploading to your bank again.
Once you've downloaded the batch payment file, there should be no need to open it. Simply save to your computer and upload into your online banking from there. The exception is if you're uploading the file to a New Zealand HSBC account.
Check the batch payment details
To check the batch payment details for each supplier:
- Find your batch payment.
- Click on the batch to open.
- Click Options, then select Edit Batch.
- Check that the following fields have information in them:
- Particulars, Code, Reference – this is what appears on your bank statement.
- Bank Account – the supplier’s bank account. The account number should have 16 digits (2-4-7-3).
Particulars, Code, Reference – this is what appears on the supplier’s bank statement.
- Check that the Payment Date is not in the past. If you're exporting the file and uploading it at another time, set this to a future date.
- Enter in any missing details and click Save.
- Re-export the batch file and try uploading to your bank again.
Contact your bank if you're still having trouble uploading the file
If you are still having trouble uploading a batch file to your bank and receive an error message, please contact your bank and confirm:
- What the error message means. Once you know this, you can fix the details in Xero and re-export the file.
- Your bank account is set up to accept batch payment files.
- The bank account details in Xero are correct.
If you still get errors, click Contact Xero Support at the end of this page and let us know. Make sure you attach your batch payment file and a screenshot of the error message you're getting from your bank.
Add a new bill to a batch after a payment
To add another bill to the batch after you have made your batch payment, delete the batch and create a new one.