Change numbering on sales invoices, credit notes, quotes and purchase orders
If you want to use your own numbering sequence for sales invoices, credit notes, quotes and purchase orders right away, you can set this up now.
How Xero's automatic number sequence works
The sequence has a fixed prefix: INV- for sales invoices, CN- for credit notes, QU- for quotes, PO- for purchase orders and an increasing number portion starting at 0001.
Invoices and credit notes use the same sequence. The prefix swaps between INV- and CN- depending whether it's an invoice or credit note, eg INV-0002, CN-0003, INV-0004...
Purchase orders and quotes have their own separate numbering sequences.
Changing the prefix
- Change the prefix and Xero will apply this to the next sales invoice, credit note, quote or purchase order, regardless of branding theme.
- Use your own mix of letters or numbers (up to 10 characters), for example OIT, 2007-155, Invoice-.
- Have no prefix by leaving it blank.
Changing the number
- Reuse numbers used on deleted sales invoices, credit notes, quotes and purchase orders.
Change the number to one that's completely different from the sequence.If you enter something after an invoice number Eg. INV-0001A, Xero treats this as its own unique invoice number. Therefore INV-0001 will still be the next number in the sequence as it hasn't been used yet.
- Start with any number or pad it out by adding 0s in front of it (up to 10 characters).
Change the default numbering
Click Default Settings.
Use the Invoice Prefix, Credit Note Prefix, Purchase Order Prefix, or Quote Prefix fields to change the prefix.
You can change the quote or purchase order prefix individually, but you must change the invoice and credit note prefix at the same time or the automatic number sequencing may not work.
Use the Next Number field to change the number that will appear on your next invoice, credit note, purchase order, or quote.
- Click Save.