Set up a repeating journal
Set up a repeating journal in Xero to automatically create journals in a weekly or monthly series, for a specified period.
About repeating journals
Set up repeating journals to automate a series of recurring journal entries.
- Insert placeholders to populate dates that depend on when the repeating journal was generated.
- You can backdate repeating journals to the first day of your organisation's previous financial year.
- Repeating journals can be set to Save as Draft or Post.
- You can edit repeating journals, but if you roll back the next journal date, Xero creates a new set of journals in addition to your existing ones.
Dates and frequency fields
|First Journal Date||The date you want Xero to start generating the journal. If the repeating journal is edited, this field will show as Next Journal Date.|
|Repeat this journal every||How often you want Xero to generate the journal. This can be a set number of weeks or months. If you choose a month-end date, Xero records the journals at the end of each month. For example, if you set up a repeating monthly journal starting 30 June, Xero records the next journal in the series at 31 July, not 30 July.|
|End date||The last date Xero should generate the journal.|
|Save as Draft or Post|
If you need to change the amount of the journal each time, or if it needs to be approved first, set the repeating journal to Save as Draft so you can make any changes. Set the repeating journal to Post if the journal will be the same each time it's recorded.
If repeating journals are set to Post, they can't be voided in bulk. Each repeating journal needs to be voided separately.
Create a repeating journal
To create a new repeating journal:
In the Reports menu, select All Reports.
If you have the Adviser user role, you can also access Manual Journals from the Adviser menu.
- Under Accounting, select Journal Report.
- Click Manual Journals to get to the Manual Journals screen.
- Click New Repeating Journal.
- Enter the date and frequency information for the repeating journal.
- Select Save as Draft or Post.
- Enter the journal details into the relevant fields.
- (Optional) Add placeholders to the Narration and Description fields
- Click Save.
View all the repeating journals set up for your organisation from the Repeating tab on the Manual Journals screen.
Placeholders are named markers where content will appear when a repeating journal is generated. The value of the placeholder will depend on the date of the repeating journal.
- Place your cursor in the Narration or Description field to see the Insert Placeholder link.
Click Insert Placeholder, then select the placeholder option.
- You can add or subtract within the placeholder to change the placeholder value. For example, [Month-1] will display the previous month to the repeating journal month.
- You can have more than one placeholder in a field. For example, if a journal is generated in April, with a description of [Month] to [Month+1], the journal will show April to May in the Description field.
Click Preview placeholders to see how the placeholders will appear in the journals.