Pay a credit note refund by cheque
If you have a Canadian organisation in Xero, you can create a cheque payment for a credit note refund, then print the cheque or save it for printing later.
- In the Accounts menu, select Sales.
- Click the Awaiting Payment tab.
Click the credit note you want to pay by cheque.
- Under Make a cash refund, enter the refund details.
Select the Pay by cheque checkbox.
- Click Add Refund.
- Enter the Pay by Check details.
- Print the cheque or save it for later.
Pay by Cheque fields explained
This section provides guidance and tips on the Pay by Cheque fields.
You can change the number to the next available number, or a cheque number you deleted.
You cannot reuse a cheque number on an uncleared, reconciled, or voided cheque from the same bank account. Cheque numbers are unique across bank accounts.
You can change the payee. Both names appear on the cheque - the original payee displays as a reference so you know who the payment is to.
Add, edit, or delete a memo to display on the cheque.
If you add or change the address of your payee, this will also update the contact's postal address.
You can change the style applied to the cheque.
Print and Save fields explained
This section provides guidance and tips on the Print and Save fields.
Save and Print PDF
Before you print the cheque, you'll need to:
- Change the page scaling to none so the cheque fits the preprinted cheque voucher exactly.
- If this is your first time printing this cheque style or you've changed the print alignment, do a test print onto blank US-letter paper. You may need to adjust the print alignment.
- Use compatible cheque stock.
Save the cheque payment in the following situations:
- If you want to print the cheque from Xero later.
- If you want to use your own cheque book or other cheque printing software.