Copy a previous pay run (using Xero's Pay Run feature)
To save entering much of the same information each time you create a pay run, you can copy any approved or paid pay run from a past date and then edit the details to fit the new pay run you want to process.
How it works
When you copy a previous pay run to create a new one:
Most fields are pre-filled based on the pay run you are copying, with the following differences:
- Pay period is automatically created based on the pay cycle and frequency you have selected in Payroll Settings.
- Payment date is left blank for you to fill in.
- Employee payments fields are pre-filled including any pay items set as defaults for those employees.
The copy may be affected by your other actions in Xero:
- If you have since archived an employee who appeared in the pay run you are copying, they won’t appear in the copied pay run.
- If you have updated an employee’s ordinary rate in the time since the pay run you are copying, the new rate won’t appear in the copied pay run. You will need to manually update it.
- If you're copying a voided pay run, the voided data from the original pay run will not be pre-filled.
- You can't copy a bill created as part of a pay run. You can only copy the pay run itself. New bills will be generated for other payments in the new pay run.
- You can't copy an individual payslip. You can only copy a pay run: the payslips within it will be copied as well.
Copy a pay run
- In the Accounts menu, select Pay Run.
- Click New Pay Run.
- Select the Copy a previous pay run checkbox and the date you want to copy.
- Click Continue.
- (Optional) Select employees to include in the pay run.
- (Optional) Click Add Employee to add another employee to the pay run.
- Click into Qty and Rate fields for each employee to enter employee payment amounts and quantities. Xero will automatically update totals based on this information.
- (Optional) Add additional benefits or deductions to any employee by adding a pay item to a draft pay run.
- Click Next.
- Review your draft pay run.
- (Optional) Add a note to go on every employee's payslip in the Payslip notes field.
- (Optional) Click Show employee’s tax number on payslips checkbox.
- Click Save to continue editing the pay run in draft, or click Approve.