Expenses by Contact report
The Expenses by Contact report shows the people and businesses where you've incurred expense transactions in a chosen period. The Expenses by Contact report is the older version of the Contact Transactions – Payables and Contact Transactions – Cash reports.
Run the Expenses by Contact report
- In the Reports menu, select All Reports.
- Under Purchases, click Expenses by Contact.
- Select a Date, a Period, and another period to Compare With.
- Click Update to view your report.
Expenses by Contact report options
The month you want to run the report for.
Choose from 1, 2, 3, 6 or 12 months as the time blocks for each column on the report back from the month chosen to run the report for.
Choose how you want the periods compared based on the time block chosen. You can choose up to 11 periods back from the date of the report. For example:
If you choose the period as 'month' and the comparison as 'Previous 6 periods' the report will display the previous 6 months.
If you choose the period as '3 months' and the comparison as 'Previous 6 periods' the report will display 6 blocks of 3-months before the date chosen to run the report for.
When the details of the report you want to run are entered or updated, click Update to re-generate the report.
View the Expenses by Contact report
The Expenses by Contact report is generated for the current month showing a monthly breakdown compared to the last three months by default.
How transactions display
- Contacts where expense transactions have occurred during the time period are displayed alphabetically.
- This report excludes employee contacts, which are covered in the Payroll by Employee report.
- The amount spent for the Contact in each month is shown and a total for the periods displayed is shown.
- Transactions will display for this report whether they have been paid, partially paid or reconciled, it is a report from the perspective of where expenses are occurring.
View individual transactions
Click on the Contact name to view all expense transactions (including credit notes) to date for this business or person.
Click on an amount to view the individual transactions that make up this amount.
The transactions displayed will be those that occur in the month chosen.
Transactions for Contacts are displayed using a Contact Transactions report which you can drill further into to view the source invoice, bill or bank transaction.