Lodge a Tax file number declaration to the ATO
Copy employees' tax file number (TFN) declaration details into Xero and file with the ATO online, or post the form if you prefer.
How TFN declaration works in Xero
Xero uses employee ATO tax file numbers (TFN) to calculate the employee's tax for you each pay run. You'll need to get a copy of the original ATO form. For information on your legal obligations, please refer to the ATO.Tax file number declarations (ATO Website)
Before you start
- Check employee details in Xero
- Check your contact details in Organisation Settings
Add an employee's tax declaration details
Once you've completed and checked your employee and employer information in Xero, copy the employee's details from the TFN declaration form into their Taxes tab in Xero.
- Go to Payroll, then click Employees.
- Click the employee name to open their details.
- Click the Taxes tab.
- Add the employee Tax File Number (TFN) or TFN Exemption.
- Select the employee's Employment Basis.
- Check or uncheck any TFN conditions for the employee.
Click File Now to submit the declaration to the ATO.Click Save Only if you want to file with the ATO at a later time.
The TFN status changes to filed once it's confirmed. This can take up to 24 hours for the ATO to receive and process declarations they receive online.