Create a pay calendar
Add a pay calendar to set how often and when you pay your employees. Once added, you assign the calendar to each employee. You’ll need at least one calendar in Xero, but you can have many calendars that pay different employees or groups.
Pay calendar periods
Use different pay periods to pay employees at different times. For example, you could pay some employees weekly and others monthly.
Pay periods you can select:
- Weekly - Every 7 days on the same day.
- Fortnightly - Every 14 days on the same day (26 or 27 times each year).
- Twice monthly - Twice in each calendar month (24 times each year). The first pay is 15 days from the pay calendar start date (inclusive). The second pay is the end of the month. We recommend setting the start date to the 1st of the month.
- Four weekly - Every 4 weeks (13 times per year).
- Monthly - Every calendar month on the same date. The pay period can start from any day - it doesn’t have to be the first of the month.
- Quarterly - Every 3 months (4 times per year).
Add a pay calendar
- In the Settings menu, select General Settings.
- Under Features, click Payroll Settings.
- Click the Calendars tab and click Add Pay Calendar.
- Click Pay Period, then select how often you'll pay your employees.
- Enter a name for your pay calendar.
- Click in the Start Date field and select the first day of the pay period.
- Click in the First Payment Date field and select the first pay date for the calendar.
Check when the first pay period ends and the upcoming payment dates.
- (Optional) Make changes to the dates as needed.
- Click Add.
Next you assign the pay calendar to your employee in their employment details.