Process a pay run
Create a scheduled pay run then if you need to, adjust your employees’ pay. When you're ready to pay your employees, complete the pay run to pay them in Xero and calculate your taxes. You can't delete the pay run once it's complete.
Before you start
- Set up payroll, including adding your employees and their opening balances.
- Add a pay calendar and create employee pay templates. Pay schedules let you add a pay run to a period in the pay period cycle. Pay templates contain the employee's base pay details. Without a template, you’ll need to add the employee’s pay details manually.
- Decide how you'll pay your employees if you're paying by online banking with an ABA file.
- Approve all employee leave requests and timesheets so they're included in the pay run.
Create a draft pay run
- In the Payroll menu, select Pay Runs.
- Click Add Pay Run.
- Select a pay period and click Next.
- (Optional) Click Add a payslip message to enter a message to show at the bottom of all payslips.
Adjust an employee's pay
Add, edit or remove any additional earnings, deductions, taxes, reimbursements, superannuation or leave in the pay run.
- From a draft pay run, click the employee who needs a pay adjustment.
To add earnings or deductions, click Add [pay item] line and add the relevant details.You can also edit the details of existing pay items or remove them.
- Click Save and then click Close.
Post a pay run
- From the draft pay run, click Post Pay Run.
- Click Yes to confirm your pay run.
After you've posted a pay run you'll need to: