Add and assign a custom holiday group
Create a holiday group and add to it alternate or regional public holidays so your employee's leave calculates correctly on these days.
How it works
If you want to:
Add a holiday to an employee's profile so that their leave totals are adjusted to include specific holidays - Create a holiday group and assign it to the employees who take that holiday.
For example, if you have an employee based in Western Australia (WA), you can add a group with WA public holiday dates and assign this group to them instead of the standard Australian holidays. When they apply for leave that includes a WA holiday date, Xero will not subtract the public holiday from their leave total.
- Pay an employee a different rate for working on a public holiday, or simply include it on payslips - Use custom pay items or leave types to adjust their pay.
Add a public holiday to an employee's profile
- In the Settings menu, select Payroll Settings.
- Click the Holidays tab.
- Click Add Group.
- Name the holiday group.
- Choose whether to add existing holidays from another holiday group or to add a new holiday, click Add.
- Click Add Holiday.
- Name the holiday, such as Western Australia Day.
- Select a date for the holiday.
- Select the holiday group it is attached to.
- Click Add.
- Assign the holiday group to the relevant employees.
Pay an employee a different rate for working on a public holiday
There are two ways to manage this:
- Create a custom pay item with the payment as 'Ordinary Time Earnings' and the Rate Type as 'Multiple of employee's ordinary earnings' so it can be set up to accrue leave.
- Create a custom leave type for the public holiday as a 'Paid Leave' type and then add a leave request for the employees paid to work on these days.