Edit customer credit notes awaiting payment
Awaiting payment customer credit notes have been entered into Xero and approved, but not fully allocated to an invoice (or invoices) or cash refunded. You can apply these credit notes to invoices or view any invoices that they're partially applied to. You can also edit, print, email and void them.
What can you do with awaiting payment credit notes?
Open a credit note
You can access credit notes from a couple of places:
- Click the credit note link in an Awaiting Payment or Paid invoice (if the full credit amount was applied to the invoice, the credit note won't show as awaiting payment).
- Click the credit note in the Awaiting Payment tab.
- Click the credit note link in certain reports such as Aged Receivable Invoices or customer statements.
Allocate credit to an invoice
If the customer has existing Awaiting Payment invoices in Xero, you can allocate the credit note to your invoices. Or you can click Remaining Credit from the bottom of the credit note balance to allocate it.
You can choose how much credit you want to allocate to each awaiting payment invoice.
Once the remaining credit balance is allocated or a full cash refund applied:
- The credit note status changes to Paid
- The credit note displays links in the balance to all invoices that've been allocated credit
- If the allocated credit fully pays an invoice, the invoice shows a 0.00 balance and its status will change to Paid. Otherwise, it remains Awaiting Payment.
Edit the contact's address, account or tracking details. You can edit credit notes once they've been approved and are awaiting payment. Once they've been paid, your editing options are limited.
Email or print
Click Email to email the credit note as a PDF to your customer. Click Print PDF to open the PDF credit note and preview or print it.
You can print multiple credit notes from the Awaiting Payment tab.
You can also mark the credit note as sent if it's not already. If it's already marked as sent, you can unmark it.