Create a batch payment
Add a batch payment to group multiple bills into one payment transaction, then export the batch file to pay it from your bank account. You'll need the Standard, Adviser or Invoice Only user role to add a batch payment.
Before you start
- Make sure your bank account number is correct in Xero:
- Xero uses this number to determine the format of the export file.
- Xero will include your bank account in the export file if your bank requires.
- Check the bank payment date, bank account name, and batch payment details are correct:
- Xero accepts weekend payment dates, but your bank may not. You'll need to check this with your bank.
- If you've entered your supplier's bank account name in their contact details, Xero includes this in some export files.
- For some banks, the supplier's bank account name you enter must be identical to the payee's bank account name.
- Enter the BSB in the contact Bank Account Number field, then enter the account number. You can use spaces or hyphens.
- Create a batch payment for only a few bills first, so you're sure it works for your bank.
Create a batch payment
- On the Accounts menu, select Purchases.
- Click the Awaiting Payment tab.
- Select the bills you want to pay. Don't include payroll bills in batch payments. To create an ABA file for a payroll bill, you'll need to download it from the pay run.
Click Batch Payment.
- Click OK.
- Enter the details in the batch payment fields, then click Make Payments.
Export the payment file and upload it to your bank.If you enabled automatic bill payments when setting up a direct feed online for Tyro Payments, you don't need to export a batch payment file. Xero automatically uploads these files to your bank account when you enable bill payments.
Each paid bill shows on the Paid tab of the Bills screen. If the payment was made from a bank account, the transaction shows in the account's transaction list.
If you're paying several bills from the same supplier, they display separately in the batch payment in Xero, but are combined in the export file, so your supplier receives a single payment and reference. Xero might shorten or remove some batch payment details so the file works correctly.
If your supplier needs to see individual reference numbers for bills paid in the batch, you can email a remittance advice, which will include these details.